Author Topic: Briton needing buy in States - Help!  (Read 4458 times)

Offline SusanG

Briton needing buy in States - Help!
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:45:21 pm »
Hi Guys
I'm a British journalist doing the transamerica this summer writing articles for a paper back home. The whole ethos of the trip is to be eco-friendly so on this note I want to get a second-hand bike in the States or at least a new older model, rather than bring out my own bike.
I'll be flying into Washington DC so does anyone have any good ideas of where I can do this in that area? I would really, really appreciate your help!
Many thanks
Susan

Offline DaveB

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:45:39 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something but what is eco-unfriendly about bringing your own bike?

FredHiltz

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:57:32 am »
Perhaps Susan is new to long-distance riding. Have you done at least two 50-mile days back to back, Susan? If not, it is really important to find a bike that fits and spend a few days adjusting it and getting in that training. You probably can do this best at home. Whatever you choose, do not start a long ride on a strange bike any more than you would start a long hike in new boots.

Your muscle power and 25 pounds of steel get you across 3,500 miles of mountains and plains. I doubt that using old steel adds any eco-virtue, but admit this is in the eye of the beholder.

If you have not already found them, do look at the articles in
http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/howto.cfm, written by folks who have been there and done that. Good material for a writer to contemplate, as well.

Fred

Offline jimbeard

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:32:02 pm »
 Hi Susan
   It is refreshing to hear that someone is thinking about the environment.[WE READ TO KNOW WE ARE NOT ALONE]
Sorry but in don't have any ideas .

Jim