Author Topic: Touring Bike HELP!!  (Read 3786 times)

Offline fit4life850

Touring Bike HELP!!
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:47:18 pm »
21,m,Florida.  Right now I am riding an 06 Trek K1000 road bike.  I am looking to purchase a bike more suitable for touring.  I have been reading information from the How-To and Forums, but everything just seems to run together.

Could someone please help me sort all this information out so I can start training for my trip next summer.  I'm looking to spend around $1500, preferable less.  

My local bike shop carries Trek and recommended the 520 or Portland, however carry neither in-stock.

Anyone with useful information I would greatly appreciate it.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

Offline DaveB

Touring Bike HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:15:30 am »
The 520 is Trek's traditional loaded tourer. It has been in their line for many years and is highly thought of by its owners.  If you want a "real" touring bike, it will serve you well.

Your 1000, if it fits well,  should give you a pretty good idea of which size to order.

Offline Badger

Touring Bike HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:57:14 pm »
Take a look at the Cannondale T2000 or T800. I have had my T2000 for 7 years now and it is still riding strong. I use a BoB trailer with mine and have done road as well as hardpack trails with no problems.  The only issue I have with the Trek 520 are the bar end shifters but that is just an issue with me.  Hope this helps.  

Offline ptaylor

Touring Bike HELP!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:52:29 pm »
Hi Fit4. This is a common topic on this forum. In the upper right corner of this window is a small search button. Do two searches: Trek 520 and Cannondale T2000.

I suggest these searches because they are mentioned most often, and will lead you to other brands.

I doubt that there are many LBS where you can walk in and find a touring bike in your size. In fact, they probably wont stock a touring bike in ANY size. They nearly always need to be special ordered.

Before you order the bike, get 3 guarantees from your LBS:

[list=1]
  • They will swap out the stem/handlebar if needed, to give you a good fit
  • They will swap-out the cassette/chainwheels if needed to give you the low gears recommended in the ACA how-to section
  • They will guarantee that you can get a front rack that will fit your bike.

You'll not go wrong with the Trek 520, but you will want to get a lower granny gear. With this bike, you will have a choice of many different front racks.

Paul
Paul

Offline fit4life850

Touring Bike HELP!!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:15:37 am »
Thanks everyone for the comments.  I'm getting excited about my trip.  Already have the Southern Tier maps and looking to plan multi-day trips from where I live when I get my bike.  Got to get ride of this Trek K1000 first.