Author Topic: The $64,000 question...Riding gloves!  (Read 5611 times)

Offline MichaelTheWingN

The $64,000 question...Riding gloves!
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:28:35 pm »
I am looking for the cyclists of the world to speak up! I am preparing for a lengthy trip next year and am looking for the best fingerless -- mesh at all costs -- riding gloves on the market! You know, the type of glove that sees 10,000+ miles in a season and sarcastically asks "Is that all you got?" What do you use, recommend and "why?" Thanks!

Have a good ride!

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. Mark Twain
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. Mark Twain

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:46:32 am »
I can tell you some that aren't the best choice :)

Comfortwise the Pearl Izumi Gel-vent Pro is great but is not suitable because the leather falls apart about the third time they get soaked or laundered.

The inexpensive lycra backed gel glove from performance is cheap, but less comfortable.  It held up fairly well on a recent TransAmerica.  The lycra was shot after 4300 mile though, while the palms were still fine.

My daughter has been using some gloves from specialized.  The design is good comfortwise and they seem to be holding up well, but it too early to tell with maybe 2000 miles on them.

A touring friend we met on the road was having excellent results from a pair of specialized gloves that were a touring specific model, but he said they were no longer in production.

If someone doesn't come up with a better solution I plan to try one of the models from Specialized next.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:56:37 pm »
I like the Specialized BG gloves they seem to have the added padding in the right places for me.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:54:24 am »
If you insist on mesh backs your choices will be very limited.  Lycra backs are almost universal and the only "retro styled" mesh backed gloves I've seen are quite cheaply made.  

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:24:59 pm »
Update on my earlier comments.  I said that the Gel-Vent Pro was comfortable but fell apart.

Since then I complained to Pearl Izumi and at their request provided the info off of the tag so they could tell when they were made.  I am waiting to hear more, but it sounded like they had a problem with the batch my gloves were in and they will replace them with a set from a batch that did not have a problem.

I am excited because they are very comfortable and my only complaint was the durability of the (fake?) leather.

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 04:06:30 pm »
Michael.

I'd say you and Mark Twain are going to have an excellent tour. If your biggest concern is your choice of glove, you're ready for all comers!

Enjoy your tour.

Paul
Paul

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:10:34 am »
Google crochet bicycle glove and you'll find only three models, a black/
red/blue stripe that is badged by Pearl and Nashbar or Performance I
bought three paris about ten yearts ago, just now going through my
last pair), and my next pair at:

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=2240

david boise ID

go, ristretto, FCP/AE
"Read the manual."
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline Sailariel

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 11:32:57 pm »
This may not sound too classy, but I have been using Bell gloves with the mesh backs for three years. Available at Target Stores for about $10.00.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 08:15:40 am »
The dealer replaced my 2006 Gel Vent Pros with the supposedly more robust 2007 model.  Kudos to Pearl Izumi and the dealer.  If these do hold up a lot better they are my favotites, since I loved the comfort on the pair that fell apart.  If not I plan to buy one of the Specialized models next.