Author Topic: panniers or single-wheel cargo trailer or both --  (Read 131 times)

Offline djkotze

panniers or single-wheel cargo trailer or both --
« on: January 28, 2023, 08:22:13 pm »
Trans America -- single rider -- camping - self contained as much as possible -- how to carry my luggage ?

Offline FlaSpin

Re: panniers or single-wheel cargo trailer or both --
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 08:29:09 am »
2025 is a long way off. Things can change. Anyway...

I've never towed a trailer. Over the years, all of my bikes have been built to support racks and panniers. The frames have included all the necessary attachment points, the clearances have been good and the wheels strong enough to support the load.

...never had any trouble. Such a setup has long been a top choice among self-contained tourists. It works well for most folks.

A trailer should allow you to tour with a bike that is not quite so well suited to racks and panniers. There may be other advantages, but in general terms, a trailer seems like a second choice.

One note: as time passes, it may become harder to actually find a traditional touring bike. The market for such bikes may well shrink in the coming years.

Offline canalligators

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 01:22:01 pm »
Recommend you search for old threads.  Offhand I would guess there are tens of threads that can offer many insights.

Offline HobbesOnTour

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 01:29:47 pm »
Depending on your bike and surface preferences I can recommend an Xtra wheel trailer.
One wheel, same size as the bike, carries panniers. Great for off-road and no handling issues if well packed and balanced.

Also....
It may just be me but a 14 word question that requires a lot more words in return for an answer doesn't inspire a huge urge to reply.

Offline ray b

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 03:01:41 pm »
Agree - a quick search for and review of other threads.
A summary to match the conciseness of your question:

Travel light.
Take half the clothes, twice the money, and twice the time.
Enjoy.

(In the modern era or lightweight, packable gear - no need for a trailer unless you're quite fit and packing a lawn mower or large dog or the kitchen sink.)
“A good man always knows his limitations.”

Offline canalligators

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 06:57:52 pm »
Packing light (desirable) has been discussed at length too.  Search.

Just be aware that you can’t, or may nor want, to pack ultra light on some tours.
1. If you have to take cooking gear PLUS group food PLUS camping gear PLUS group gear, there will be a limit to how light you can pack.
2. If your daily mileages are high, you’ll have little discretionary time in camp, so you’ll want more clothes, to stretch laundry intervals.
3. On a months-long tour, you might want to take more comfort items.  For example I made daily online journal entries for the family, so I took a phone and a tablet.  Plus more backup battery and cables.
4. If you have special personal/medical needs, those can take cargo space.  Extra pillows, CPAP, medication insulators, warmer sleepwear, hygene goods…

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 11:30:10 pm »
I can't add to the exhaustively discussed religious debate on panniers vs. trailer, but I can definitely say no to both.

Laundry? Laundry? We don't need no stinkin' laundry.

Offline canalligators

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 11:39:02 pm »
I hear ya.  I will not ever go on a group tour, cooking, challenging, fixed schedule.