Author Topic: Bicycle Chain Whip Vs Lightweight Chainwhip for Bicycle Touring?  (Read 207 times)

Offline Touring on a Bicycle

• Road Warrior
  • I am Living My Dreams!

A Fiberfix spoke is probably a better "just-in-case" option.

Fiberfix Emergency Spoke Reveiw

Ron, I looked at the video for the Fiberfix...pretty cool. Thanks for sharing...first time I've seen this. To be honest, I've never replaced a spoke--have never broken one, so just haven't needed to. For my tour this summer I was planning to just tape a couple extra spokes somewhere on my bike frame to have "just in case". Is the Fiberfix a better option or would this be just as good in your view? Thanks.
The advantage of the Fiberfix spoke is that you don't need to remove the cassette if a drive side spoke breaks.

When a spoke breaks it's not uncommon for the stress to cause other spokes to break, or for the wheel to become so out of true it's not rideable. But with a Fiberfix spoke you can make a temporary repair on the spot in a matter of minutes

On a longer tour it may be a good idea to carry some spare spokes in case the correct length spokes for a permanent repair are difficult to source. You can store them inside a flat handlebar, or inside the seat post with some foam packing to wedge them in place.

And don't forget the Fiberfix can be used over and over.
Hey RonK: What if you or someone would 2 or more Broken Spokes on the Rear Wheels? and Your about 100 miles to 300 miles from a Bicycle Shop on the Southern Tier Bicycle Route? and Would you or Someone keep riding thier Touring Bicycle?. and I don't want to be that guy walking my Touring Bicycle up to 300 miles in the Desert on the Southern Tier Bicycle Route!.

Touring on a Bicycle
Touring on a Bicycle https://www.facebook.com/TouringBicycleonaSurlyLHT/
Bicycle Touring/Bikepacking Gear Talk and Gear Review (Forum)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BikeCamping101/

Offline John Nelson

What if you or someone would 2 or more Broken Spokes on the Rear Wheels?
I carry two FiberFix. I also carry the Stein and several metal spokes of each length. I'm not walking because of spokes.

Offline RussSeaton

What if you or someone would 2 or more Broken Spokes on the Rear Wheels?
I carry two FiberFix. I also carry the Stein and several metal spokes of each length. I'm not walking because of spokes.

I agree.  Goofy, goofy, goofy question this person asked.  In my saddlebag, which I carry at all times on every bicycle ride I do.  I carry a spoke wrench.  So if I broke 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 spokes, I could just true the wheel and continue without replacing any spokes.  This person seems to think a broken spoke will stop you.  Ha Ha Ha Ha.  For those who know how to work on bicycles, and have the right emergency tools, its very easy to keep going with no troubles at all.  I could easily finish the entire coast to coast ride with several broken spokes.  Not necessary to replace them until long after the ride is over.  Of course I probably would prefer to get them replaced as soon as I came across a bike shop.  But not necessary.

Offline Molly88

and I don't like the "Old" Stein Mini Cassette Lock Ring tool.
  Can you explain what you didn't like about it?  I've never used one myself.

Offline Figaro

For those who know how to work on bicycles, and have the right emergency tools, its very easy to keep going with no troubles at all.  I could easily finish the entire coast to coast ride with several broken spokes.  Not necessary to replace them until long after the ride is over.  Of course I probably would prefer to get them replaced as soon as I came across a bike shop.  But not necessary.

I think as a kid, just about all my bicycles had broken or loose spokes :-)