Author Topic: nashbar panniers  (Read 9285 times)

bobbirob22

nashbar panniers
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:42:34 pm »
I was looking at some nashbar panniers online today and was curious about them.  I need a pannier i can use that would have enough clearance from the axle so i could hook a trailer to the bike while the panniers are on it (specificly a burley nomad trailer) and the nashbar panniers seem like they would be a good choice. Have any of you ever used nashbar panniers and how long did they last? Are they worth the money? Is there another waterproof pannier i can buy that would give me as much clearance as the nashbar panniers?

ROBERT JENKINS

Offline tjgoggin

nashbar panniers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 09:58:11 am »
Sorry I just saw this. Nashbar panniers in a word are junk! The best thing they got going for them is being waterproof. But the brackets that are riveted to the bag fall apart pretty quickly. The straps also rip pretty easily. I still have mine, but don't use them too often. I ended up taking off the rivets and bolted the bag to the brackets. I tried sewing the straps, but haven't been too successful.

Offline staehpj1

nashbar panniers
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:51:06 am »
Three of us used them for a coast to coast tour in 2007 (4244 miles 73 days).  One set of them has been used for daily commuting half of the time since then.  They have also been used to tote groceries a bit.  All are still like new and there have been zero problems with them.  I would definitely buy again if I didn't already have them.  As it is I expect them to last for many thousands of additional miles.

Clearance should not be a problem.

This message was edited by staehpj1 on 12-24-08 @ 8:52 AM

bobbirob22

nashbar panniers
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:21:17 pm »
thanks for your post, i already bought the nashbar panniers and the clearance is perfect.  figured i couldnt go wrong for a set of rear panniers at $59 and the front for $45. they are well made and waterproof to, i tested with a water hose :) , hope to get many miles out of them..

ROBERT JENKINS

Offline staehpj1

nashbar panniers
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 09:50:39 am »
Good luck with them.  We liked ours and they held up well.  A few tips...
[list=1]
  • The metal hooks on the bungees are easy to lose when the carried off the bike.  Be careful about that.
  • Some people complained about the rivets tearing out.  We never had a problem with ours, but if you do just use bolts and fender washers.
  • Thinking back the one issue we did have on one set was the little velcro straps coming loose.  They are easy to stitch back on and it isn't a problem to go without one until you do.
  • Things that you want to get to quick can be tucked under a flap.  Just be sure they are secure enough that they don't slide out.  Depending on the day we might have a warm shirt or a rain jacket there.  It saved digging.

This message was edited by staehpj1 on 12-25-08 @ 6:53 AM

bobbirob22

nashbar panniers
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »
thanks for the tips, i think ill go ahead and replace the rivets with bolts so i know for sure it will hold, and maybe do a little extra stitching on the straps to make them stronger. thanks for your posts and happy riding to you all and have a wonderfull holiday season :)

ROBERT

Offline Tourista829

Re: nashbar panniers
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:27 pm »
I have a set of front and rear "waterproof bags," and to my surprise they work great. I took the bags to my shoemaker and they used heavy duty thread and machine to give extra re-enforcement to the handles. That is the only problem I have had with them. Cost of repair was $13.00 I use the velcro tabs for further attachment points and they stay on the racks. Although they are not of the same quality as the Ortliebs, the value can not be beat and like the above posts have used them on tours and errands with good results.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:49:47 pm »
A word of advice; put everything that can be harmed by water in plastic bags before you put them in the panniers.   No matter how "waterproof" the panniers claim to be or how well they seem to survive the garden hose test, several days of riding in the rain will compromise any brand of panniers.  The plastic bags weigh nothing, can help organize your gear and add an extra layer of protection.

bobbirob22

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »
A word of advice; put everything that can be harmed by water in plastic bags before you put them in the panniers.

good idea, thanks for the tip.