Author Topic: Route 464 (Duck Lake Road) from Babb to Browning, Montana  (Read 6765 times)

Offline scarcellagv

Route 464 (Duck Lake Road) from Babb to Browning, Montana
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:38:44 pm »
I'm planning my summer bike trip via the Northern Tier route (west to east).  I am planning on going through Glacier National Park, but due to time constraints I won't be able to take the loop up to Waterton in Canada.  I am planning to stay at Many Glacier campground after riding on Going-to-the-Sun Road.   

After leaving Many Glacier, I need to get to Browning to pick up Route 2 and head east.The typical route I've read about is taking Route 89 to Browning.  I've also read a journal where they took a short cut via Starr School Road bypassing Kiowa.

Here's my main question.  Route 464 (Duck Lake Road), off Route 89 just south of Babb seems to be a shorter and less hilly way to get to Browning.  Do you have any knowledge of this road and whether it would be a good alternative for biking?

Thanks,
Gary
scarcellagv@yahoo.com

Offline CMajernik

Re: Route 464 (Duck Lake Road) from Babb to Browning, Montana
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:42:23 pm »
My info is from 10+ years ago riding that road. It was paved, and there's a climb from US 89 onto a plateau. There was very little traffic. I think it would be a good alternate to use to shorten your trip.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline scarcellagv

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »
Just thought that I would update this to answer my own question since I did take this route this past summer.

I asked several locals and park rangers in the area and they all agreed that Duck Lake Road was the better and safer route for biking from Babb to Browning, Montana.  While there aren't any services on this route, there is also very little traffic.  Several people mentioned how terrible Rt. 89 was with narrow shoulders and many curves without good sight lines.  Duck Lake Road had great sight lines so you and the traffic could see each other a long ways off.

This route also provided me with a great introduction to the Big Sky of Montana and a nice view of the Rockies disappearing behind me.  There are some climbs and descents on this route, but it's nothing compared to Going-to-the-Sun Road.

I liked this route so much that I think Adventure Cycling should offer this as an option for those who want to visit the Many Glacier area but do not want to venture up into Canada when riding the Northern Tier route.

Gary
scarcellagv@yahoo.com

Offline heffel

Northern Tier: Route 464 (Duck Lake Road) from Babb to Browning, Montana
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:28:14 pm »
I am planning a trip East to West......and was just looking at Duck Lake Road.  By taking Duck Lake Road, what would we miss out on?  We would gain a couple days to spend resting right?

Is it worth it?  Anyone?

FredHiltz

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:52 pm »
You would miss Waterton Lakes National Park, arguably one of the finest in Canada and definitely just as scenic and mountainous as its neighbor, Glacier N.P.

If you like to hike, consider a day off the bike for the Crypt Lake hike, rated in many books as the best in Canada. It is certainly the best I have done in Canada. You need real hiking shoes or boots; sneakers or bike shoes will definitely not do. I can guarantee that you will remember this hike for years. Check out the park and the hike on the web to see what I mean.

Fred

indyfabz

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:59 pm »
+1 on Waterton Village.  It has a great town campsite that is dramatically located:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davez2007/sets/72157620763740044/

The photo of grazing deer and the next 14 photos were taken in Waterton Village and on the way to St. Mary.  The one on the beach with the log in the forground was taken at the town campsite.

Unfortunately, both times I rode through there (including in 2009) we had to skip our rest days there.  I was really looking forward to Crypt Lake.