Author Topic: Vancouver to San Francisco  (Read 515 times)

Offline sturfishman@aol.com

Vancouver to San Francisco
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:36:39 am »
Riding from Vancouver to San Francisco leaving on May 1st .Is this too early for weather problems .
Will I be encountering snowfall?
Thank you for your replies

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
Re: Vancouver to San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:33:53 pm »
Are you strictly sticking to the common Pacific Coast routes? If so, it is very highly unlikely that you will see snow in May. There are no high passes in BC, WA, or OR. The Coast Ranges don't really see snow in May. Maybe the highest parts could see a brief snowshower and a dusting, but you'll be well below that. If you were going to go around the Olympic Peninsula and go up to Hurricane Ridge, you'd most likely see snow, but that's a side trip with lots of climbing.

Granted, it's been a cold and snowy winter here, so there still may be lingering snow on mountaintops by May, but as I said, you aren't going to be riding over mountaintops.

However, you will definitely see some rain, and possibly hail, so be prepared for that.

If you were going to go in the Cascades, there's definitely a chance you'd see snow there.

Offline rray

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 06:35:48 pm »
I am headed down the same route but turning east at Eugene on the Trans America Trail. Is the first week in June too early for the high passes?

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:33:49 am »
I am headed down the same route but turning east at Eugene on the Trans America Trail. Is the first week in June too early for the high passes?

It may be too early for McKenzie Pass, but Santiam (the alternate route) would be open. When I crossed it during Memorial Day Weekend in 2010, I had to use Santiam since McKenzie was still socked in. We had A LOT of snow this year, so I don't think there will be an early opening for McKenzie. You'll probably still see snow on the sides of the road going up to Santiam.