Author Topic: Prep for my first trip  (Read 3408 times)

Offline dracolytch

Prep for my first trip
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:34:53 am »
Ok, I'm planning my first trip of significant length... From Bar Harbor ME to Boston MA or so. I'm in pretty good shape, and I've started increasing the length of my daily rides to get ready for the trip. I'm a bit under-trained I think, but I still have some time, and I am actively working to make sure I'm not training whilst on the trip.

Bike's been looked over, and I have a solid camping gear list, with some bike bits thrown in. I already have a trailer, I'll be picking up the Adventure Cycling map soon.

The BIG question I have is this:
Since my start point is not my end point... What do I do with my car, and how do I get back to it?

~D

Offline staehpj1

Re: Prep for my first trip
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:01:48 am »
Take a train, plane, rental car, or bus back.  Possibly take the bike as baggage or ship it.  Personally I kind of like to get the transportation out of the way up front when possible by ending the trip at or near home.

Offline jcostanz

Re: Prep for my first trip
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:43:05 pm »
A popular option for the car is to leave it at the long term parking at an airport.  Ride to another airport and rent a car/ SUV and drive back to your car.    Since you are traveling with a trailer, you probably will only be able to ship the trailer back or rent a SUV type car.   Be aware that there are not many options for one way car rentals.  I ride a Trike that does not fold or come apart, so for any 1 way ride I have to look at renting a Uhaul type, as one-way pickup truck rentals seem to be unavailable.

Jeff