Author Topic: component compatibility  (Read 3131 times)

Offline newguyhouston

component compatibility
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:21:42 pm »
I've been cycling 9 months.  upgrading components from Tiagra to dura ace.  just bought triple crank.  questions: 1) will triple work with 10 speed rd and cassette or am I limited to 9 speed rd and cassette?    2) does triple crank require a long cage?     3) will a 10 speed shifter work with a 9 speed rd/cassette?     Thanks for the education.

Offline whittierider

Re: component compatibility
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:45:35 am »
questions: 1) will triple work with 10-speed rd and cassette or am I limited to 9-speed rd and cassette?

There's no reason you can't have 3x10.

2) does triple crank require a long cage?

Yes.  The short cage won't take up and let out enough chain length to accommodate the greater difference between the largest and smallest chainrings.

3) will a 10 speed shifter work with a 9 speed rd/cassette?

No.  It does not pull and release the right amount of cable per step.  In Shimano and SRAM, 9-speed cassettes have 4.34mm cog spacing, and 10-speed ones have 3.95mm spacing.  The shifter also pulls in more cable to get to the largest cog and lets out more to get to the smallest, than it does to step through the rest of the range.  For this reason, even if you made some kind of reducer, the bigger step at one end or the other would be lost, so your shifting there wouldn't be as good as it should be.

See http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html .

Offline DaveB

Re: component compatibility
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:54:00 am »
You can make a 10-speed shifter work properly and well with a 9-speed cassette and even mix and match Campy, Shimano and SRAM components.  The "secret" is to use the appropriate Jtek "Shiftmate" adapter. Look here: www.jtekengineering.com

I have one on a bike with Campy 10-speed Ergo brifters, a Shimano long cage 105 rear derailleur and a Shimano 9-speed cassette.  The bike shifts flawlessly all across the cassette with no compromises at either extreme. 

The advantages to 9-speed cassettes is that they are available with larger ogs in MTB configurations.  Shimano's 10-speed cassettes are limited to a 27T (or the new Dura Ace 28T) largest cog while MTB 9-speed cassettes are available with 32 or even 34T largest cogs.  You will need a MTB rear derailleur to use them.