Author Topic: Brooks saddle modification  (Read 17010 times)

Offline tonythomson

Re: Brooks saddle modification
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 12:35:52 pm »
Haven't tried hammering the rivets yet - they are the steel type.

Spoke to Brooks about the modifications and they will not carry them out,

At the moment trying it out on the trainer with a sheepskin cover (getting soft) as this helps in the heat I found.

Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline 10speed

• Road Warrior
  • Granola bars + Peanut butter.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »
I own both a Brooks B-17 (currently on my Long Haul Trucker) and a Selle An-Atomica. Both are great seats, and if money were no object, I think I'd buy a second Selle An-Atomica...instantly comfortable right outta the box, and no break-in required. AND waterproof.

I would love to hear more about the selle an-atomica, a local guy around here said he had one and it was the worst saddle ever, that the seat splayed and pinched his taint. i thought about getting one until i heard that. any response?
Currently on bike tour as of 12/31/11...
Fort Collins, CO - Key West, FL. Key West, FL - Bar Harbor, ME. Bar Harbor, ME - ??? and going strong...

Offline DU

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 09:56:15 am »
I just bought one as a result of this thread. I have had it for a couple of weeks and have it mounted on my touring bike that I am using on a trainer. I have been riding it for about an hour a day. I was having an issue with sit bone area pain that started at the end of a tour from the Seattle area to Iowa last summer using a Brooks B-17 saddle. I had a similar problem at the end of the Transam in 2006 using a Brooks Team Pro.

The saddle was more comfortable than the Brooks for me right away and I really liked the B-17 prior to the sit bone pain. It comes with some very detailed mounting instructions that were interesting and helpful, not only in mounting but in explaining the theory behind the saddle. The video on the website is what really sold me on the fact that this saddle might help in what I had going on. I called before buying to ask a couple of questions and the president of the company answered the phone.

Like all saddles the Selle An-Atomica probably won't work for everyone but it seems to be fine for me right now. We'll see how it holds up after I spend some real time on it outdoors. By the way, no taint pinching at all but I did trim the slot a little because the sides were overlapping.