Author Topic: Bike tours for charity?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Kulawhat

Bike tours for charity?
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:05:42 pm »
We are new to these forums, my mom and I. We would like to plan a bike trip up the west coast for a cause. We are not yet sure if we would like to try to raise money or just awareness for the cause, which we are also still deciding on. If anyone has any ideas or help they are willing to give we would be more than happy to hear it!!!!
To tell a little bit about us and our ideas for our trip...we would like to bike the west coast within the next two year. Right now we are working on getting in shape to be able to do it. :p I am 19 years old and more than willing to help my 52 year old mother in completing a desire which is on her bucket list.
Please help us fulfill this wish! We would love to have your help!
Thank you so much!
Jess and Linda

Offline tonythomson

Re: Bike tours for charity?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:00:41 am »
Hi Guys,
I did a charity cross country ride last year.  Set up a web blog of some sort and have some "business"type cards printed.  I'm sure that most registered charities would be able to help with info/media etc and have some way people can donate directly into their account.  Makes it easier than trying to collect money off people.  If you have any specifics just ask.

The age you guys are shouldn't take 2 years to get fit just get on your bikes and enjoy, just don't be too ambitious about how far you can ride everyday and get good tyres.

Have fun and good luck
Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline mucknort

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:44:01 am »
The "How to" section of this fine website has an article on charity rides:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/cyclingforcharity.cfm

Regarding "a bike trip up the west coast", I rode strongly advise you to consider a trip down the West Coast (I'm assuming you mean the west coast of the U.S.). Most seem to agree that the prevailing winds blow "down" the coast the majority of the time. Plus, you get to be on the ocean side of the road heading south.
Good Luck, it's an awesome ride!

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:39:38 pm »
I am not trying to sound stingy but you don't have to make it a ride for charity/awareness obviously.  In some aspects, having to always solicit funds or hold meetings could definitely be a chore on a tour thus making the tour less enjoyable.

If you truly want to raise funds for some charity, as opposed to raising funds that pay for your trip and any excess goes to some charity, just think of your favorite charity or hobby.  For instance, if you were really into "widgets" or "widgeting", then you could ride to raise funds so that the young, old, poor, unwidgeted, etc. are able to go.  If you only raise $200 dollars for the widget charity, that is fine since the primary purpose was to enjoy the tour and any money raised would be more than they would have gotten anyway.

You could charge by the mile, a flat donation, by state, etc.  At 1,850 miles for the west coast at 1 cent per mile is only $18.50 per person; $92.50 for 5 cents, etc.

Just my two cents or $37 (can I have a receipt for taxes ;D ).

Offline mikedirectory2

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:26:33 am »
That is really awesome of you and your mom, good luck!
May the skies be blue and the road be flat... Happy Riding.