Author Topic: International flying with bikes  (Read 2274 times)

Offline toorguide

International flying with bikes
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:06:57 am »
I'm looking for current info on airlines from US to South America that take bikes w/o big fees. Any recent info appreciated. Researching each airline is not only tedious, but info is unreliable, so looking for 1st hand info. Thanks for any help.

I'll also offer my 'recent' (12/07 -12/09) airline successes. I took a 2 year RTW bike tour (www.toorguide.com) and was never charged a fee for flying with bike, until I arrived back in US, then had to resort to auto rental.         

My list:

British Air (US-tahiti-Aukland-Sydney.purchased thru Air New Zealand to take advantage of higher sports eqip. allowance, and Bangalore- Berlin)
Thai Air (Sydney -Bejing..easily got a 'coupon' for extra 10K by contacting them directly)
Singapore Air (Sing-Kath, zero hassle)
Air India..( Kath-Delhi  made me take some of my bike gear as carry on to keep checked weight under 20 kilo.
Egypt Air Most recent flight, 12/09, and very easy to deal with.

BTW: On the box vs plastic wrap debate I find that workers treat the plastic with much more respect,thus I avoid box unless required.

Offline Tourista829

Re: International flying with bikes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:51:43 pm »
What country do you want fly into in S.A.?

Offline tonupgilly

Re: International flying with bikes
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »
Found this web-site the other day.  Scroll down the page for a list of airlines and their regs for bikes

tonupgilly

http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm