Author Topic: Great Divide in mid May?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Drexhy

Great Divide in mid May?
« on: March 05, 2010, 06:00:36 am »
Hi
Im flying over from Sweden to El Paso in mid May and want to bike down to Antelope Wells and then hit the track north to Banff... How much snow will i encounter? I have  around 10 weeks on me tro finish maybe more.??
Would it be ankel deep sometimes or even more and if thats the case... is it a day or two... a couple of miles or ??
I ordered the book.. but would be happy for answers!

Join me?, please do!

Offline CMajernik

Re: Great Divide in mid May?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:27:40 pm »
Leaving in mid-May from the south to go north is still very early on the Great Divide. It is very possible that many of the roads over the passes, especially in CO, will still be closed. These roads aren't plowed; passage on them occurs when the snow melts. I suggest that before you ride a over a pass, where you can still make a detour, that you contact the Forest Service Ranger District where the road is located so you can find out the status of the road. The local ranger district will have the best information. On the maps, in the text under About Map A and About Map B, we list the National Forest phone numbers. But each forest has several districts so you will have to find out the specific district and call them. If you go to the following website you can find the contact info for the specific districts where the route goes through.

http://www.fs.fed.us/
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline JimF

Re: Great Divide in mid May?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:35:37 am »
Drexhy:
Take a look at http://www.topofusion.com/divide/ . Scott and his Mrs. did a south to north mapping tour in '04. Their journal has lots of good info. Crazyguyonabike.com is also another good resource. You will likely run into snow with a May departure. You'll need to carefully look at alternate routes (on maintained roadways) and where to pick them up off the GD to avoid the higher elevations with snow. Forest Service, as mentioned above, together with state department of transportation (DOT's) should be able to help. Good luck.