Author Topic: Moab Utah to Cortez Colorado(Mesa Verde)  (Read 4907 times)

Offline tandemfamily

Moab Utah to Cortez Colorado(Mesa Verde)
« on: March 08, 2010, 02:46:43 pm »
I am planning a trip to Moab in the Fall, would also like to ride to Mesa Verde National park near Cortez Colorado, has anyone ridden hwy 191 to hwy 491 ?, we will be self supported, just curious if it is a divided hwy or how the shouders are. Or if I should consider other options through Grand Junction Colorado. Thanks in advance. Mike

Offline valygrl

Re: Moab Utah to Cortez Colorado(Mesa Verde)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »
I drove that last year, and I didn't really look at the shoulders, but the scenery wasn't totally awesome.  I'd consider going over the La Sals - Hwy 46/90 - to Naturita.  From there you can take back roads to Cortez.  I did that by bike in the 2008 Bike Tour of Colorado - maybe you can find someone who kept their route map, I wish I had, sorry.

I did the ride into Mesa Verde last year, and it was fantastic.   

.... actually, I just looked and the route you mention is the Adv. Cyc. Western Express route.

Offline cgarch

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:00 pm »
Likewise, I drove it back in Dec 2007. I actually happened to take some photos from the car and on checking those a very ridable shoulder is visible. My recollection from driving it is that it would indeed be very ridable. You can bet there is the usual variability in shoulders. Nearing Monticello and headed east to Cortez, indeed the scenery is pretty barren. At one point east of Monticello, there is a small forest of small pines (I think) but not for long. If it is clear you can see the San Juans long before you reach them. The barren wide open spaces have a grandeur all their own.

indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:36:59 am »
In '00 I spent about a month in Cortez (after we got burned out of the park) and drove from Moab to Cortez coming back from Vegas.  Yawn on the scenery.

If you have extra time and energy, you could do what Valygrl's suggests.  You go all the way to CO 145, swing past Telluride and go over Lizzard Head Pass.  From there, it's basically all downhill to Cortez, and it is forested until Dolores.

The climb into Mesa Verde N.P. is fun.  Up, up and away!

Offline tandemfamily

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:04 pm »
Thanks for the information, that is exactly what I needed. I dont mind the climbs if the scenery is good. I did find that part of the route is part of the western express as well. We will be camping along the way, so barren desert would not be my first choice. I also found a nice feature of google maps, you can street view the roads, it shows the shoulders or lack of. Thanks again, Mike

Offline EnduroDoug

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:57:32 am »
You can get a sneak-peek of the scenery and the width of the shoulders with Google Maps. Just grab the little orange-guy icon near the zoom bar and pull it onto the map. All the roads that lights up blue have continuous 360-degree photos. And by the looks of it, every road in that area has been photo-surveyed.

And it looks like the others are right -- boring scenery, but not a bad road for biking.