Author Topic: Howdy from the new guy  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Nightturkey

Howdy from the new guy
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:23 am »
Just found this website/forum today, and thought I'd jump in the pool with you guys.  I'm fairly new to cycling (less than three years), took it up initially because I was tired of being a fat fifty-plus.  I'm just about to turn 55, have lost over 40 lbs since I started, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it!  Most of my riding is a 12.6-mile commute through the Great Sumter National Forest here in South Carolina, but I've participated in some longer-distance charity rides (ADA's Tour de Cure two weeks ago, for example).  I ride a slightly-modified Peugeot "Cote d'Azur" with a 7-speed Shimano Nexus (I'll be glad to post a pic if I can figure out the procedure and if anyone's interested). 
     I do have one question for the members of this forum:  Do y'all smile when you ride, or are you a bunch of those oh-so-serious cyclists who ride hunched over their handlebars with a look of grim determination on their faces?  As for me, there's always something I either see, hear or smell during my rides (especially now in Spring) that plasters a big ol' grin on my kisser.  Honeysuckle's in full bloom, as are the jasmine and primroses.  Oh - and NOT spending $2.65 per gallon to get where I'm going helps, too.

Offline John Bailey

Re: Howdy from the new guy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:58:50 am »
 :)Smiler here!

Welcome!

I wish I could get gas for $2.65 >:(

John

FredHiltz

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:46:18 am »
...  Do y'all smile when you ride, or are you a bunch of those oh-so-serious cyclists who ride hunched over their handlebars with a look of grim determination on their faces?

Hah! I think I speak for most of us, saying we do it for the fun. I sometimes glance in the mirror at my sweetheart tucked in behind my rear wheel and call back, "Is that a grin or a grimace?"

A few grim-faced ones will pass us sometimes. If you ever catch up to one at the next store, ask "Did you see the bull and the cow having at it back there in the field?" They will never know whether they really missed something.

Fred

Offline JHamelman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:27:10 am »
Hey there,

You know, I think smiling while riding is probably one of the best, most inviting forms of advocacy. I highly recommend it.  :) Jim (Sayer, Executive Dir of ACA) made a point of mentioning that very thing when talking at the member meetings we held together recently. Keep on grinning, at the very least, non-cyclists will wonder what you're up to!

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline whittierider

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »

I do have one question for the members of this forum:  Do y'all smile  when you ride, or are you a bunch of those oh-so-serious cyclists who ride hunched over their handlebars with a look of grim determination on their faces?

I don't have to smile to enjoy something immensely, and even when I feel like I'm smiling big, cameras don't seem to know it.  I enjoy the results of determination, and of working hard.  It's fun, and feels good.  I ride with a nearly horizontal back, but you'll find it relatively straight, not hunched.

It seems that many touring cyclists are more tourists than cyclists.  They like to stop at many points of interest.  I on the other hand like to see the coast, the mountains, or whatever, from a moving bicycle.  I want to ride.  I'm a cyclist, but unless I'm riding bike, I don't enjoy traveling.  Other than riding bike, the other part of travel is very stressful to me, and not something I want to do for vacation or even for work.  The only way for me to survive the planning is to think about all the enjoyment I've had from previous rides when I was actually riding.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:03:10 pm »
  Smile, I laugh my socks off, and I'm always pleased to see those nice young men in their clean white coats ... at the end of the day.  Umm think the suns been getting to me, enjoyed passing through SC on trip up north.

Seriously i smile and greet all and sundry along the way.  Even the red necks who tried to come too close in their truck, we became friends at the next stop light.

Been trying to effect a style whereby I keep my teeth together and lips apart so I can breath without swallowing all the bugs that abound at the moment so not sure if I look like I'm smiling or some mad man best left alone.  ;D

But I guess it's not always easy to smile if putting in big effort at the end of a long day but I certainly smile when it's time to stop. I expect that most cyclists do it for fun even if not smiling and are enjoying themselves.  Geez what am I rambling on about. 
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com