Author Topic: Transferring ACA GPX file to a Garmin Edge 305  (Read 5336 times)

Offline mykbyk

Transferring ACA GPX file to a Garmin Edge 305
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:07:33 am »
I have purchased ACA maps of a couple of routes I want to ride. But I would like to transfer them to my Garmin Edge 305 GPS. ACA kindly offers the waypoints in GPX format on its website, but as far as I can see there is no way of transferring the GPX files directly to the GPS unit. Here is an indirect way that I think ought to work. Import the GPX file to MapMyRide, save the route as a .crs file and then upload it to the GPS (via the Garmin Training Center software).

BUT, this method fails: I can only import the first panel of the maps to MapMyRide, and no more.  Has anyone tried this, and can help? Or can you suggest another way of getting the routes onto my GPS (so much easier to enjoy the routes when you don't need to stop every few miles/yards to check your routes)?

Maybe ACA has built in some sort of copyright protection; if so, then no problem at all, but I would just like to know!

FredHiltz

Re: Transferring ACA GPX file to a Garmin Edge 305
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:08:55 am »
The limitation is in the Edge, not the data. It can hold only one route, which it calls a course, at a time as far as I know from reading its manual.

Could another Edge owner verify this, please?

The Adventure Cycling GPX files contain several routes, each containing no more than 30 waypoints, as that is the limit for many GPS receivers. I expect the course in the Edge could contain many more points than that, as it is meant to hold a track log recorded when training on the course, but do not know its limit. You might be able to combine several routes into one course before loading the Edge.

Can MapMyRide or Garmin Training Center combine routes? If not, many free GPS data programs can do this readily. I use G7ToWin. If you decide to try this, download the GPS Data User Guide from http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/gps.cfm. It has instructions on using G7ToWin and other programs with the data files.

Please let us know if this triple play works: MapMyRide to G7ToWin to Garmin Training Center. It is an awkward and tedious process, but could let you use your Edge.

For others reading this while choosing a GPSR, the Edge is an excellent unit for training but not well suited to touring. Look back in this forum for some discussion and comparison with better touring receivers.

Fred

Offline mykbyk

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:35:01 pm »
Fred

Thanks for this useful reply. It confirms that the process is complicated. I did try G7ToWin, but found that useful information on how to use it (in the Help file) required a Microsoft update for use with Windows Vista (and 7). That download failed, and I did not keep trying.

With no guarantee of success, and since I shall only use a relatively few panels of the maps, for this trip I shall just plot the routes manually in MapMyRide and upload to the Edge 305. I know that works and I shall be doing this anyway since a substantial portion of the trip is in Canada.

Now when it comes to next year's solo TransAm, I shall look into the "triple play" approach as one of the options!

MB

FredHiltz

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:08:04 pm »
OK! Have a great ride. I think several of us would like to read your impressions of the Edge as it really works on the tour, when you get back.

Fred