Author Topic: Really Idiot Question about whether all the maps are actually on my Etrex HCX.  (Read 5326 times)

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
  • TransAmerica East to West 2012 or Bust!
OK this is like old dogs and new tricks here.  The first time I uploaded some of the maps from City Navigator onto my Etrex HCX, it took forever.  Then someone said that you should upload all of them at once.  So today I clicked all of the maps in North America and told my PC to send them to my Etrex.  Now I'm about to leave for Missouri to do the Katy Trail and I'm wondering if those blinking maps are actually in the Etrex.  I can't figure out how to tell.  I tried to find something, for example.  My PC will let me find a POI on the Katy trail, but the Etrex will only let me find stuff where I currently am (which, unfortunately, is in downtown Cleveland).   ::)

So is there any way to tell if all the maps have uploaded properly in the Etrex before I actually get out in the middle of nowhere?

I know this is kindergarden for youse technogeek guys, so have mercy on the lowest common denominator.  And please don't tell me to go read something unless it's written for old decrepit peeps, because I've already read the stuff you say to read and it's like reading a foreign language.   ???

Thanks ~~ really!
Kate

Offline rvklassen

I too have had an "interesting" time figuring out the Etrex Hcx.  There's a very good chance the maps are truly on your system.  I made the mistake of leaving out a few and then using the device with the car in a place I *knew* we would never ride - only to discover I was on the base map.

It is possible to ask it to navigate to something detailed (when not connected to the computer) which is close to a distant location.  I didn't do it - my wife did while I was driving.  I think it's something like "change reference".  Without the device in my hand it's a bit tough to figure out what it was.

Another thing you should be able to do is - again when not connected to the computer - zoom way out until the displayed map is something like half the country, and then move the pointer to a location well away from where you are.  Then zoom in until you can see a town.  Then move the pointer to the town.  Then keep zooming in until you see residential streets.  You should be able to see all the streets that you can find using Google Maps on your computer, and if you are zoomed in far enough, and hover over a street it will eventually display its name.

If you only have the base map you get superhighways and probably state highways.  No city streets.

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
Absolutely brilliant with the zooming & moving & zooming again!  Would never have thought of it.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

kate

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
well the zooming didn't work
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:58 am »
Tried the zooming business.  The Etrex lets me zoom out only about 30 miles.  Obviously I need to change something internally.  I'm buffaloed.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Mme. GPS-dazed & confused.   :'(

Offline rvklassen

OK.  Try this:

Pretend you want to navigate to somewhere remote (like a place you intend to stop just off the trail).  I'll assume you have a waypoint there by now.

So you find the waypoint, and let it navigate to it.  You should be able to get it to give you step by step instructions.  If you get to the end, and the last step looks like it wants you to just take a bearing, rather than showing you the last few streets to follow, you're on the base map.   That's what happened to us when we had a piece of the NA map missing.

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
Man, I must be really ignorant.  "Finding the waypoint" is exactly what I'm trying to do.  How do you find the waypoint?  I can find it on my PC, but the Etrex doesn't have that option.  ???

Offline rvklassen

Again, I'm trying to do this from memory, as the unit isn't here.

1) Get to the main menu
2) Select "Find"
3) Select "Waypoints"
4) Select "By Name"
5) Select a known waypoint

Now you should be presented with some choices including "Go to"

The user interface takes some getting used to.  Good luck.

More details in the owners manual which, if you don't have it handy, can be downloaded by typing Etrex Vista Manual at Google.

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
Thank you very very much for the helpful responses. 

Offline rvklassen

I got an Etrex Vista HCx based on the recommendations and reviews here and on CrazyGuyOnABike.  Where it wins big is the battery life, and, being a hiker/biker unit, it is reasonably sturdy and weatherproof.

Where it loses is the user interface.   We've had the thing since the Spring and are still figuring out how to use it effectively. 

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
Agreed.  I bought it mostly to have the pre-loaded information about restaurants, hotels, etc. when on tour, as well as to supplement the paper maps (the typeface of which is so teeny I can't read 'em anyhoo).  Having the speed, mileage, and elevation stuff is a real plus, and eliminates the Polar-type sensors mounted on the bike.  But trying to figure out how to work the danged thing is ridiculously confusing.  I think the technogeeks take great pleasure in stymying us old f*rts with the psychobabble and acronyms running rampant in the GPS world.  Even GPS for Dummies is way over my head.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:48:07 am by katekosar »