Author Topic: Loading Lewis and Clark Data onto Garmin HcX  (Read 2739 times)

Offline BigBlueToe

Loading Lewis and Clark Data onto Garmin HcX
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:13:55 pm »
I just bought a Garmin HcX.  I want to use it to guide me on my tour on the Lewis and Clark route this summer.  I have some questions.

There are several folders that I unzipped.  I assume each is a section of the entire trail.  I want to go from Portland to Great Falls, Montana.  Do I check the contents of each folder and rename them to keep them straight?  It seems obvious, but so far I'm so confused that nothing seems obvious. ;D

When I open one of the folders there are a bunch of routes included.  Do I rename them so I can tell what they are?

I understand that the data is loaded for people going east to west and I'm going the other direction.  How do I reverse things so I can follow the route turn by turn?

The Lewis and Clark has a bunch of options, including going on the Washington side of the Columbia or the Oregon side, some different routes in the Rockies, etc.  How does the gps handle this.  Do I load them all and choose "on the fly" or do I have to decide which way I intend to go in advance and only load that data?

Any detailed directions would be wonderful.  Left to myself I might be able to figure all this out in time, but I'm leaving in a month and I won't have much time to experiment between now and then.

Thanks!

FredHiltz

Re: Loading Lewis and Clark Data onto Garmin HcX
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:28:22 am »
Hi BigBlueToe,

All good questions. Get the GPS Data User Guide from the ACA web site > Routes & Maps > GPS Information, link near the bottom of the page. Please write back with any questions that remain.

Fred