Author Topic: attaching a flag on my bike with panniers  (Read 6009 times)

Offline mustride62

attaching a flag on my bike with panniers
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:28:26 pm »
Any ideas of how to attach the a flag mount to by touring bike when I have my panniers on thanks

Offline johnsondasw

Re: attaching a flag on my bike with panniers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:09:09 pm »
Frankly, I don't think the flags are that visible. Visibility is much increased by the shocking yellow/greens or orange colors.  I notice bikers in those color jerseys much farther away than those little flags.  Also, I had a flag that came with my trailer and the mast broke on the second day.  Anyway, IMO, real safety comes from the aforementioned colors, a mirror, experience, and common sense.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline valygrl

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:24:21 am »
Duct tape or hose clamps

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:51 pm »
This can be done depending on the rear rack you have. I have a Tubus Cargo and one of the tube angles works well. I like, placing the flag on the side of the bike closest to traffic. If you mount the bracket facing the wheel, away from the pannier attachment side. with quick ties, you should be ok. Mount it low and use two more quick ties and snug the fiberglass pole to the middle and top of the rear rack. If the bracket twists, use electrical tape wrapped around the rack, to give the bracket more grip. You can also use the tape to cover the bracket so that sharp edges won't cut the panniers. If you use a two piece flag, I would use electrical tape or duck tape, joining the two pieces together. There is nothing worse than riding 70 miles and realizing your flag is lying, on the road 20 miles back. I see them on trailers and trikes but not as much on bicycles. I like your idea for two reasons, it gives drivers a little more depth perception and thus clearance between you and the car. You can never be too visible especially in low light conditions.

Offline mustride62

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 12:04:59 am »
Thanks for the tips I will try it this weekend, yes I agree about being visible, the more visible the better.

Offline dracolytch

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 03:48:27 pm »
Johnson and Mustride are both right:
A flag is a good supplemental visibility tool.

From personal experience: If you can get a single-piece flag, do so. Far too frequently, I've had to backtrack for the top half of my flag after snagging it on a bush, or similar.