Author Topic: WTB recumbent tricycle  (Read 6425 times)

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
  • TransAmerica East to West 2012 or Bust!
WTB recumbent tricycle
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:02:12 am »
Disabled Marine veteran, 65, looking to buy a used, solid, reasonably-priced recumbent trike for long-distance touring with the family.  Husband is 6'4" and 270 lbs.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:08:24 pm by katekosar »

Offline Tourista829

Re: WTB recumbent tricycle
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:29:37 pm »
Contact Mark at Power On Cycling  www.poweroncycling.com (813) 671-2200. Riverview, Florida. He is the guy for recumbent (s) and trikes. What I like best, he does a lot of work with veterans. I am confident he can help your husband. Good Luck Bob.

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:14:22 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, Bob.  We were more looking for a good used trike for Terry's first pass, and then upgrade later as we discover more about what fits, what he likes and doesn't like, etc.  But we appreciate the suggestion.  We do know that Catrike won't work, as it's too narrow for him. 

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »
Even if he doesn't purchase a bike from Power on Cycles, Mark is a good resource and does so much with Vets. I also know two other people in Floral City, Florida. The Regis and Cindy Show. Hampton's Edge Bicycles 8294 East Orange Avenue, Floral City - (352) 419-4809. I was on my way to St. Augustine from Tampa and their shop was like an Oasis. They were one of the nicest kindest people I have ever met. They focus on recumbent's and trikes and Regis rides a trike himself by Trident or Ice. He is very knowledgeable. With what you described, I might shy away from purchasing without consulting an expert. Wishing you the best of luck.

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »
Thanks, Mark.  I know Floral City well.  We have a "snowbird" home in central Florida, and I'm always so happy to come down from Cleveland and ride the Withlacoochie and Van Fleet trails in January and February!  One of my daughters rented a bike from Hampton's Edge a couple of years ago to join me on the trail.  Next time we're down there, we'll talk to Regis a bit.   Great suggestion ... we didn't realize he had trikes in the shop.

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:30:30 pm »
You are welcome. Regis and Cindy were so nice, they even tried to find me a motel and Regis fixed my front Ortlieb Panniers so the stayed on the racks. (put the bottom attachment on the top of the ring verses the bottom) He refused to take money for it. If you have a place down there, near Floral City, there is a great restaurant on Route 44 approximately 6.5 miles east on the Withlacoochie Trail going east bound called the Hungry Fisherman. It is on the left side. It has the best shrimp, scallops, and hush puppies I have had, in a long time. Pulling up with my bike, clothes, and all my gear, I could barely fish my dinner. People were very interested in anyone nutty enough to ride from Tampa to St. Augustine. Little did they know.....

Offline katekosar

• Road Warrior
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:24 pm »
Hungry Fisherman sounds wonderful.  Close enough to the Gulf that the fish should be fresh fresh fresh.  Hubby ended up buying a recumbent trike ... yay!! ... I'm wondering if Route 44 has a broad enough shoulder that he wouldn't be sticking all out in the road.  If I recall, it's a pretty busy east-west highway?

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:28:02 pm »
I thought Rt. 44's shoulder was plenty wide. The trike should be fine. The highway is busy, but I felt safe enough.