Author Topic: Is 'Giant CRS4' strong enough form adventuring?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline GlenR

Is 'Giant CRS4' strong enough form adventuring?
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:27:31 am »
Hi, on the 10th of may next year i am setting off around the world. i am going through europe, turkey, iran, the "stans", mongolia, china...... i'm getting my equipment together now but the only thing im wondering about is my bike.. i have a CRS 4 with AluxX aluminium, Fluid Formed frame..
ive read that higher spec aluminum frames are harder to repair. Is this higher spec? i'll be cycling through some tough off road areas and i want a bike that can be repaired easily..
But ive also read that aluminum nowadays is stronger than steel.. So im looking for advice on wether or not the giant crs4 would be up to the task..

Thank you

Glen

Offline waynemyer

• World Traveler
  • More PITA than PITA. That's our motto!
Re: Is 'Giant CRS4' strong enough form adventuring?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:40:57 pm »
The frame will be fine as long as it feels good to you.  Steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, Ti... few people can properly repair the materials found in modern bicycles.  It is not so much that one material is stronger or weaker than any other, but rather what the manufacturer does with it.

It's the wheels that you need to make sure are up to the task.  If you haven't already, I would suggest a set of handbuilt wheels from someone with experience and knowledge of what you're going to be doing with them.

Have you done a lot of loaded touring on this bike yet?  Are the ergonomics of this bike something you want to ride around the world?
waynemyer.com
warmshowers.org  (user:waynemyer)

Offline Westinghouse

Re: Is 'Giant CRS4' strong enough form adventuring?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:25:38 pm »
Aluminum is fine for your bicycle frame. If the tube angles are right and the anatomical fit is right, you need to concentrate your attention on the moving components. On such a journey as you propose to do you will need to change the chain, freewheel or cluster or cassette, tires, tubes, possibly a rear wheel and front wheel depending, brake cables and pads, and possibly some front chain rings. I say this because I use Wal-Mart chains and the cheapest Shimano deraileurs, $30.00, and $37.50 Weinnman wheels which will get you all the way across the USA east to west easily, but which tend to wear down after a while. Take care of your bike and your bike will take care of you. After that, its not the bike under the man that makes it. It's the man on the bike. IMO the frame is the least likely thing to break down.

Some areas you plan to traverse can be kind of third-world and developing mixed with the more advanced parts of the world. I seem to think you are familiar with those regions. Be careful where and what you eat and drink.