Author Topic: suggestions for a route, starting in LA  (Read 1727 times)

Offline RicemanDan

suggestions for a route, starting in LA
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:57:16 pm »
Hi guys.

I've been on the road for 6 months, with my last 3 months cycling New Zealand (the best 3 months of my life). I'm a country person and enjoy quietness and national parks the most (if only I'd visited Sequoia and Yosemite off season!).

I took a journey from San Fran - LA on the pacific highway a week ago, which was beautiful and now I'm in LA again (nooooo!) and stuck for ideas on a new route. My only deadline is to be in Florida/Orlando by October 8th (for a wedding). I was suggested Oregon/Washington state, but unsure what train links are like up there as I'll be quite a way from Florida. I was also veered away from a trip to Utah, due to the mountainous terrain. Though I am quite fit and averaged over 100miles a day on the SF-LA trip. 

I also need some advice on road maps/sources to use whilst on the bike. I'm from the UK so not sure I can get the ACA maps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

Dan

FredHiltz

Re: suggestions for a route, starting in LA
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:14:54 pm »
I'd consider the Pacific Coast route to San Diego and the Southern Tier to Florida. The heat should be gone from the Gulf coast by the time you get there and the mountains are not bad.

ACA can mail maps to you at General Delivery in any city. where they will be held for up to 30 days until you pick them up. Details at http://www.usps.com/receive/choicesfordelivery/receivemailinotherplaces.htm. Pick a smaller city so you know which post office will receive the mail. Call to make sure they receive general delivery. The smallest ones do not.

There is more in this thread: http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=7604.0

Fred

Offline RicemanDan

Re: suggestions for a route, starting in LA
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:38:10 pm »
Thank you Fred, I think I will take your advice - better to be safe and make sure I get to Florida on time and I know my way from LA on the bike path - A nice chap spoke to me in Monterey and invited me back to his house to make photocopys from his pacific coast cycling book, whilst his wife cooked me waffles!! Amazing.

I wasn't sure about a route to Florida, but it sounds like it should be manageable.

Thanks again.