Author Topic: 66 in Tulsa is dangerous  (Read 1196 times)

Offline PeteJack

66 in Tulsa is dangerous
« on: June 07, 2016, 04:40:37 pm »
This happened to me in Tulsa on 11th St, on the ACA route, at 1 in the afternoon. I was rear ended by a van. 11th St starts off as rural and ends up a mad rush with no bike lane or shoulder.

I ended up in the ER and it finished my tour. Try and find an alternate to 11th St.The guy at Lees Bikes who helped me ship my bike back said he wouldn't dream of riding 11th St. I wrote to ACA about it and heard nothing back. So I can't help with an alternate. FYI my injuries were not too bad and it could have been a lot worse.

Offline John Nettles

Re: 66 in Tulsa is dangerous
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 06:07:15 pm »
sorry to hear of your accident.  I live in Tulsa and mostly agree.  You don't say where specifically on 11th but, yes, in some places it is a main road that I would not ride either.  My guess is that you didn't even get to the hardest part based on the picture.  The problem is 11th is Route 66 and does have a lot of neat old Route 66 icons, buildings, and such.  If you go over 1/2 mile to a city road bike route, you miss the majority of it.  Catch-22.

At least you survived westbound Route 66 east of Claremore.  I would not ride that either.

If you are still in Tulsa and need some assistance (place to stay, getting to/from transportation, etc.), feel free to contact me privately.

John

Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 07:13:42 pm »
According to my iPhone it was between S. Louisville Ave and S. New haven Ave. And I have to agree with your comment about E of Claremore getting onto 193rd Ave was grim. I thought I'd got the worst over when I'd done that!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:28:24 pm by PeteJack »

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 09:29:44 pm »
Yep, the hardest (westbound) is probably between Harvard and the river.  While it sucks you got hit, at least you are fine overall.  Obviously, most major roads in any major town are a lot like this one, i.e. lots of traffic, no shoulder, etc. so I wouldn't overall say 11th Street is the worst I have been on by any means but yes it does suck, especially fully loaded.  Problem is do you follow Route 66 or do you go another safer route which would materially change the route?  My vote would be for a safe route and lots of GPS way points showing where the R66 sites to see are so you can take a side road to them.  Obviously, there are areas they reroute due to safety.

On the positive side, Tulsa is seriously looking at making R66 much more biker friendly, i.e. making it a two lane road with divided bike lanes or something similar.  While that does not help you right now, hopefully they will get it done sooner rather than later.

Again, if you need anything, feel free to contact me.

John
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 12:39:10 am »
Although 11th in Tulsa can be an issue, Manchester in St. Louis is much, much worse. In spots along 11th, I either rode on the sidewalk or took the lane, depending on the situation.

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 08:54:01 am »
Although 11th in Tulsa can be an issue, Manchester in St. Louis is much, much worse. In spots along 11th, I either rode on the sidewalk or took the lane, depending on the situation.
That's what I should have done John. I agree with you that Manchester was bad. The ACA route through Joplin MO  was crummy too especially as there is the Frisco Greenway bike path that takes you to within a couple of blocks of the match line and avoids all the traffic, no need for insets or anything. I found that with my iPhone after following Historic 66 signs got me off route, no such luck in Tulsa.

Offline Nick_Bonner

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 10:06:20 pm »
A friend of mine got rear ended on 66. Ended his tour too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 10:16:01 pm »
A friend of mine got rear ended on 66. Ended his tour too

Whereabouts Nick? I'm thinking of going back and finishing it but some places e.g. OK City and Amarillo have me looking for a way round them

Offline Nick_Bonner

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 10:59:02 pm »
Texas I think?

Offline giantcycle99

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 07:25:27 am »
Pete, I wonder if you have re started your route 66 tour?  I have some info, for riding Route 66 in and out of OKC, in both directions here:  http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/yesthereiscampingatthecitylake

I live in OKC, and I would not ride the AC route in to Edmond, nor in to OKC.

However, I just had a Route 66 rider, and saw the new map for the Oklahoma section, and thankfully Adventure Cycling has changed the route in and out of Edmond, on on the east side. 

I know of NO ONE that would ride on 2nd street in Edmond, and the older maps, from 2015 brings you in to Edmond from the east.

Please, look at the date on your maps, and get the addendum for this section!  It is better, but still not my choice... but you would miss some Route 66 stuff on my route.

Moni

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 08:26:42 pm »
Thanks Moni.

I'm planning on restarting my ride from Tulsa on May 1 and plan on taking your better route, the one on Crazyguy, through OKC I like the idea of quiet roads. I'd rather stay in one piece than be a 66 purist. In fact the guys at Phat Tire Bike in Tulsa have a safer way for me to get through there that I plan on using.

I would still like to visit the National Memorial. Will that be difficult?