Author Topic: Race Face is in receivership  (Read 5026 times)

Offline tombrogan

Race Face is in receivership
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:45:25 am »
Interesting to see how this all works out. Seems quite a few bikes use their rings and cranks.

http://nsmb.com/4287-race-faces-demise/

Offline RussSeaton

Re: Race Face is in receivership
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:47 pm »
Seems quite a few bikes use their rings and cranks.

10-15 years ago Race Face was a big after market chi-chi high end supplier of cranks.  I don't recall them ever having much of the manufacturer market.  They did not come original on many bikes.  So if your goal is to have a wide choice of new replacement cranks to switch on and off your bikes, it will affect you.  If you just buy bikes from your local shop and ride them, you won't even know they are gone.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:06:00 am »
Was Race Face an actual manufacturer or just a distributor of cranks made to their specifications somewhere else, like Asia?  If they didn't make the cranks in their own facility, the cranks could easily reappear under a different marketing name.

Offline BrianW

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:22:09 am »
I have several RaceFace rings on my bikes. All say "made in Canada."

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »
This is too bad, I have a Raceface crank and it is great.

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 07:00:36 pm »
Was Race Face an actual manufacturer or just a distributor of cranks made to their specifications somewhere else, like Asia?  If they didn't make the cranks in their own facility, the cranks could easily reappear under a different marketing name.

Race Face was a real company.  Not a company that put its name on stuff made elsewhere.  I don't know if Race Face had factories making its stuff or contracted with others to make stuff for them.  But Race Face did design and create the product.  Their stuff was not a generic thing picked out of a Chinese factory catalog.  I suspect if anyone bought Race Face, it would be for the brand name and its designs.  Those are its assets.  Although the designs may not be too valuable since the company went into bankruptcy.  I doubt you will see Chinese companies coming out with Race Face look alike products.  The products I recall from Race Face were unique.  They were not simple cheap to make products.  They required CNC machining.  The Race Face Next LP crank was an I beam shape.  It had to be milled to look like that.  They also had a carbon/aluminum crank.  The arms were aluminum wrapped over carbon.  Not something a Chinese company could do.  The good Race Face products are not going to be copied by anyone because they were costly.