Author Topic: Adirondack park loop  (Read 25927 times)

Offline gnarlydog

Adirondack park loop
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »
I would like to ride it this summer. Does anyone have an opinion on the best time of year (weather wise) to go?

FredHiltz

Re: Adirondack park loop
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »
Mid-summer to mid-fall IMO. Black flies make outdoor life miserable in much of the Adirondacks until about July 4. The cool weather, the foliage, and the light traffic after Labor Day are ideal, but campgrounds begin to close then. A bit of Internet research will get you the closing dates.

Fred

Offline litespeed

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:33:30 pm »
My brother has a condo near Lebanon, New Hampshire. According to him the black flies are bad for a couple of weeks around Fathers' Day - mid June. They even close the golf course for a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:16:20 pm by litespeed »

Offline MrBent

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:55 am »
What Fred said.   I cycled that area in mid/late August, and it was wonderful, one of the highlights of my cross country ride.  A little later in the year would have been ideal as the only a few trees had any color when I was there.  Maybe I was lucky, but I had virtually no trouble with bugs when I was there--unlike Ohio!  I've never had the joy of black flies, but I understand they are to be avoided at all costs.  Plan to go well after they would be a threat.

Scott

Offline windrath

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »
Gnarlydog -

Fred Hiltz's comments are right on.  If I were doing this ride, I would wait until the later part of August.  Although your chances of rain increase, the bugs are less of a problem and the summer tourist season is waning as families get ready for school.  September is even better for traffic and camping rates, but the weather is a bit more unpredictable.

End of July is the best riding time for weather as the chances of rain are the least.  It can get quite warm in the middle/end of July.  Traffic is going to be bad and campgrounds will be crowded.  :(

For Fall colors, ride in the middle of October and stay in hotels. If you hit the right week, it is gorgeous.  Wrong week can be cold, damp, and maybe even a little snow flurries.  :(

All in all, I would go during the 3rd week of August.

Good Luck