Author Topic: Red Lodge, Wyoming to Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho  (Read 1782 times)

Offline MichiganDoug

Hello all,

My first post.  I want to do a ride starting generally in the Yellowstone area, probably in Red Lodge, and ending at Craters of the Moon.  I cound do the Transamerica route from West Yellowstone west to where 43 hits 93, then take 93 south to 75 and jog west through the sawtooths.  The Ride Idaho route used the last part and it sounds great, but I don't find any info on 93 north of there.  The Idaho shoulder width map shows it as mostly red (narrow), but 75 is shown that way also and described as a great ride. 

Another way into Idaho is on 20 west out of West Yellowstone, but then what?

Any insight or advice would be most welcome.

Another question.  I was originally going to do the Transamerica from West Yellowstone southeast to Pueblo, CO, but the route descriptions sound like you have to deal with a lot of narrow shoulders and heavy traffic, and then no services for a long stretch from Landers to Rawlins.  What is the reality on the ground?  I am trying to avoid bringing camping gear.

Thanks!

Doug

Offline tsteven4

Re: Red Lodge, Wyoming to Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:32:53 am »
Our experience matched the ACA map between Lander and Rawlins - small store at sweetwater, bar with food and camping at the lions club park in jeffrey city.  the lions club park is a cement pad with tables, shelter from the wind from two directions, shade and plenty of tumbleweeds (free, apparently unmaintained).   It was quite cold mid summer when we were there (2004).  We got water on the other side of the street near some apparently abandoned  barracks.  There might have been a motel open in jeffrey city, it looked questionable.   When we were there jeffrey city appeared to be barely hanging on, I believe the mining had fallen on hard times.  There was a restaurant between jeffrey city and rawlins, but we were going S to N and didn't stop there.  You can gander at the map and waypoints here http://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net/maps/transamerica_route.kmz  I don't recall any problematic road conditions between Boulder and Bozeman, other than construction in Yellowstone and lots of broken glass on the road near Lander.  There is a stretch on I80 east of rawlins, but the shoulder is very wide. 

By the way there was very nice hiker biker camping at Jenny Lake in the Tetons.  This is a smaller sought after campground, the nicest we stayed in in the Tetons Yellowstone area.  Personally I can't imagine not camping in the West so you may need to listen to somebody else on the accommodation recommendations.

I haven't been to Idaho from Yellowstone, but from Yellowstone N on the great parks route to Jasper is fantastic, especially Glacier/Waterton/Banff/Jasper NPs.  We deviated somewhat and went through West Yellowstone/Ennis/Bozeman/Helena/Lincoln.  Don't miss the Going to the Sun road (i.e. Logan Pass) in Glacier if you head that way.

Offline JHamelman

Re: Red Lodge, Wyoming to Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:33:04 am »
When we were there jeffrey city appeared to be barely hanging on, I believe the mining had fallen on hard times.

I've read some recent reports that things in Jeffrey City have gotten much better. I don't have the links to posts at the moment but seem to recall that there is now a restaurant that specifically welcomes cyclists and another camping option.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes