Author Topic: 5000 mile trip - Portland, San Fran, Austin, New Orleans, Washington DC, NewYork  (Read 3976 times)

Offline cyclinggardener

OK, a friend and I are starting to plan a trip to the States next year (we live in UK).

We want to do the route in the subject in August, September, October, the main question is - can you ride across the states that far south at that time of year? From the limited research we've done (Google maps...) it seems that there is a whole lot of nothing between San Fran and Austin. Is this total madness?

Cheers,
Iain

Offline John Nelson

There are a lot of different ways to get from SF to Austin, and these cities are a long ways apart. If you take the Pacific Coast route to the Southern Tier, you'll find plenty of services along the way. There are several other ways to get there as well following other ACA routes. You'll be fine.

Offline cyclinggardener

Hey that's great, I didn't know about the ACA routes, thanks for the info and the reassurance! I'll have a proper look at the maps and get planning.

Cheers!

Offline tsteven4

And to make studying the maps easier see
http://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net/maps/acroutes.kml (you need google earth),
or select other viewing options at
http://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net/

Offline cyclinggardener

Hey thanks very much.

FYI you can just plug a URL to a KML file (like you supplied) into Google Maps without installing Google Earth, which is nice  ;D

Offline tsteven4

FYI you can just plug a URL to a KML file (like you supplied) into Google Maps without installing Google Earth, which is nice

Plugging the URL into google maps doesn't work as well as you might hope.  Most of the adventure cycling KML files I generate exceed the limits for google maps, so you get a partially functional version in google maps (without a warning that lots of data has been omitted).  You will not see all the routes on the left pane of google maps, and for the routes you see you will not see all the waypoint and route information.  On the map pane you will also be missing some of the routes and corresponding information.

So unfortunately I think you will be much better off installing Google Earth on your computer and looking at the KML files that way.

Offline cyclinggardener

Ah OK, I'll get Google Earth installed then and have a go with that.

Thanks again!