Author Topic: Sleeping Bag Question on Pacific Coast Route  (Read 3234 times)

Offline thesararose

Sleeping Bag Question on Pacific Coast Route
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:51:09 am »
I am touring from Vancouver to San Diego in August and camping at night. This is my first time camping. Will a summer sleeping bag be warm enough on the coast in the Pacific NorthWest or do I need a 3-season bag?
Thanks for any advice!
Sara

Offline CMajernik

Re: Sleeping Bag Question on Pacific Coast Route
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:18:07 am »
A summer bag should be warm enough but consider taking along a silk liner. Very lightweight but adds warmth if you need it. I love mine.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »
A summer bag ought to do OK. That coast can get chilly at nights and perfect for cycling. I did it in August-September. It started getting warmer arther south in California. A spring or fall bag might be OK too.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »
I carry two sleeping bags - a Mountain Hardwear "40 degree" bag and a very lightweight REI bag that packs as small as a football. I use them in whatever combination is suitable. When it is real hot I sleep on top of both of them. In real cold I sleep inside both of them. In between I use whichever one is right and sleep on top of the other..

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:14:38 am »
I am touring from Vancouver to San Diego in August and camping at night. This is my first time camping. Will a summer sleeping bag be warm enough on the coast in the Pacific NorthWest or do I need a 3-season bag?
Thanks for any advice!
Sara
I am planning to start in Bremerton August 28th and did the numbers via http://weatherspark.com

I looked at the average high and average low for 25 points along the way at the dates I expected to be there and recorded them in the following spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al3ij8_Ec_tndFNDb2dxa1VVb0kta3V0ZUQ1SlJ4RHc&hl=en_US#gid=0
I did not record the record lows, but did glance at them for most locations.  My conclusion was that It is likely to be a trip low of 49F and a trip high of 87F.  Of course it is possible that it could get to the record low for some point along the way, but that isn't likely.  I think that the lowest I saw in the record lows was 39F.

It kind of makes me wish I had a 40F bag.  A 40F bag that weighed about a pound would be nice, but most of them are expensive enough to discourage me from considering them.

I sleep pretty warm and have slept in my 55F bag (REI Travel Sack) in 40F and survived without major suffering with long sleeves and tights on.  I figure that my 20F bag (Cat's Meow) is gross overkill, but it weighs almost the same as my 30F bag (Slumberjack Superguide).  I am actually leaning toward the 55F bag, figuring that I can put some clothing on if needed.  I do take a down vest that I use as a pillow and in a pinch I could put that on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:18:19 am by staehpj1 »