Author Topic: What do the numbers mean on AC maps (p.20 in Cyclosource Fall 2011)  (Read 3308 times)

Offline eddiefromohio

I am curious about the Adventure Cycling map that is shown on page 20 in the Fall 2011 Cyclosource catalog.  It is an example from the Northern Tier, Section 2, Map 19.  What do the numbers along the route mean?  Starting from left to right they are 11, 13, (main route 9.5, 10.5 / West Side Alternate 10, 5.5). 

The distances between the numbers do not match up with the Miles measurement listed in the key?

FredHiltz

Re: What do the numbers mean on AC maps (p.20 in Cyclosource Fall 2011)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:18:17 am »
They are indeed the miles between the black dots. There's a dot for each each mileage number in the narrative, where the mileages are cumulative from the matchline at the beginning of the map. The black stars mark changes in the road number or name.

On the newer maps, red pointers replace the black dots and letters inside black circles replace the black stars.

Fred

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:10:09 am »
The distances between the numbers do not match up with the Miles measurement listed in the key?
Are you sure?  I have always found they did.  Sometimes I thought they didn't but any time I checked it usually was because I was confused about which sections the numbers referred to.  It tends to be confusing at times and a number is easily missed or counted twice especially at the match lines.

Offline JHamelman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:55:47 am »
Are you sure?  I have always found they did.  Sometimes I thought they didn't but any time I checked it usually was because I was confused about which sections the numbers referred to.  It tends to be confusing at times and a number is easily missed or counted twice especially at the match lines.

On current maps, the point to point and narrative mileages should match. On older maps, this might not always be the case because we only used whole numbers (no halves). As maps get converted to GIS, we have modified the placement of point to point mileages such that they will no longer spill over between map panels. You can read more about how we think about point to point mileages in a blog post I did on the topic.

http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2010/02/point-to-point-mileages.html

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes